couples

travel

teens

family

daytrippers

weddings

Friday, May 27, 2011

The Larsen Family

I was recently asked to photograph a friend and fellow photographer's family. Kellie is an amazing photographer and as she has so many gorgeous pictures of her children, she just needed that one great family picture to place in the middle of the photo wall amongst the rest of her family's cherished memories... I think every photographer faces that same issue. We've all tried the tripods with a remote for the shutter, just to end up frustrated with the results.... I can totally understand that, BUT at the same time, can you imagine how nervous I was to photograph another photographers family. I think I was nervous every minute up until the actual shoot, that doesn't happen often but I am happy that when it does, somehow, all the stress or anxiety washes away once the clients show up, because I know that whatever anxiety I am feeling... they have that ten fold.

It is so important for photographers to stay calm and collected at all times, I think the best complement I ever got was when a friend/client called me Jasper (you know like from the Twilight books.. he has the ability to calm a room:) I remind myself of that often, and try to live up to that compliment.
I wanted to take the time to talk to clients and potential clients about the importance of creating a calm environment for your family before and during your photo session.
First of all be sure everyone gets a good night's sleep the night before your photo session, cranky kids greatly complicate the photo process, as do impatient or stressed out parents.
Make sure everyone is well fed, and ready to go in plenty of time before the shoot, trying to rush everything at the last minute is a recipe for disaster. If you are wearing sandals or heals you will want to bring comfortable shoes, because you may have to walk a bit or step through water or in this case a million slugs.....
No matter how prepared you are, things may still go wrong, for instance with this particular photo shoot... I took my good friend Christina P with me to help with the little ones (having entertainment for the kiddos is key;) we arrive early to scope out the location, then just wait in the car on this beautiful day with the windows down listening to music, AND unknowingly running down the car battery.... When Kellie's family showed up, we turned the car off and went to greet them. When it was time to get the couch out of the back, Christina pushed the button to open the back door but it didn't work, We didn't stress, just hoped that Kellie's family had jumper cables, as the battery was completely dead. luckily they did. We started setting up the shoot when Kasen, Kellie's oldest boy came over and said "Mom, we have a problem, we forgot Mac's pants" Kellie laughed, and went over to the car hoping it was not true... but it was. Yep, this is starting out perfectly.....
But Justin and Kellie didn't stress out, they both handled it perfectly and knew that we would have to make the best of it, and work with what we had.
My point is..... parents, RELAX. If you stay calm and trust your photographers (they are generally quite skilled at getting the kids to join in the fun) your family portrait will be one you are happy to hang in your home for years.







4 comments:

cassidy May 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM  

I love these, Andi! So glad I found your blog.. awesome style :)

The Terry's May 27, 2011 at 3:40 PM  

gorgeous seriously i love this!

Valerie May 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM  

Very good advice, very well said, and loved all the pic. Way to be creative on hiding Mac's pantless-ness (is that a word) ha ha ha, and I love the blanket one,it's my fav :) Great Job Andi, you really are an amazing photographer!

bows and more May 29, 2011 at 9:14 PM  

Great Job! Love the pictures! Love the family! :)

posts

posts

Popular Posts

PUBLISHED

PUBLISHED

contact

If you have questions regarding pricing or availability, please contact me at:

andiwatkins@live.com
or (435) 313-8949

top navigation

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP